At Boone County Solid Waste, we are a resource to the residents of Boone County. We offer a variety of ways to recycle items throughout the year through our Big Blue Bin program, Recycling Center, and various recycling events.
For questions regarding disposal and recycling, please call 859-334-3151.
Are you a recycling expert? Take our "So You Think You Can Recycle" quiz and put your knowledge to the test here.
GOT PAINT? Residents are able to pick up paint hardeners at the Boone County Public Works Office (5645 Idlewild Road, Burlington) while supplies last. Each packet works for a paint can that is two-thirds full.
Big Blue Bins
All Big Blue Bin locations accept the following items (unless otherwise noted): plastic bottles and jugs (spout must be smaller than bottom; lids are OK if left on), glass bottles and jars, metal cans (no scrap metal in the bins), mixed paper (remove any plastic wrap), and cardboard and paperboard (flatten before recycling).
Please avoid placing these items in the bins: styrofoam, plastic bins, electronics, organic material (food, diapers, etc.), wood, plastic toys, furniture, hazardous items, and plastic bags. If you are unsure if it can be recycled, contact Boone County Solid Waste at 859-334-3151.
If you notice a bin is full, call 859-334-3151 to report it. Please do not leave loose items outside of the bins, as they can be blown away as litter.
Current Big Blue Bin locations:
• Corner of Idlewild Road & Maplewood Drive - Right beside the Boone County Fairgrounds (5819 Idlewild Road, Burlington, KY 41005)
• Oakbrook Park - 6605 Oakbrook Road, Florence, KY 41042
• Union Park - 10165 Old Union Road, Union, KY 41091
• North Pointe Elementary - 875 North Bend Road, Hebron, KY 41048
• Verona Fire Department - 14924 Walton-Verona Road, Verona, KY 41092
• Walton Fire Protection District - 12600 Towne Center Boulevard, Walton, KY 41094
• Petersburg Community Center - 6517 Market Street, Petersburg, KY 41080
• Bullittsville Christian Church - 3094 Petersburg Road, Burlington, KY 41005
• Belleview/McVille Fire Department - 6900 McVille Road, Burlington, KY 41005
• St. Henry High School - 3755 Scheben Drive, Erlanger, KY 41018
• Point Pleasant Fire Protection District - 3444 Turfway Road, Erlanger, KY 41018
• Conner High School - 3310 Cougar Path, Hebron, KY 41048
• Paper only: Immaculate Heart of Mary - 5876 Veterans Way, Burlington, KY 41005
• Paper only: Mary Queen of Heaven - 1130 Donaldson Highway, Erlanger, KY 41018
At the Boone County Recycling Center, we accept the following items: auto batteries (lead-acid), ink and toner cartridges, oil filters, used oil, gasoline, and scrap metal and appliances (Freon OK). Scrap metal and appliances can include - but are not limited to - refrigerators (remove all food), AC units, dishwashers, dryers, fence posts, fenders, lawn mowers (remove all fluids), furnaces, tanks/cylinders (hole must be punched in the bottom), metal cabinets, ranges, swing sets, treadmills, and patio furniture. All items must be completely free of fluids and food items - no exceptions.
If you are unsure if an item is recyclable, please contact Boone County Solid Waste at 859-334-3151. At this time, please report straight to the Boone County Recycling Center (3275 Maplewood Drive, Burlington) for drop-off. Operating hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 3:30pm. You must be a Boone County resident to drop-off items.
Hazardous waste includes a wide array of items, most of them in your own home. These items are not safe to go to a landfill and need special disposal. Some items include - but are not limited to - electronics, tires, automotive fluids, aerosols, batteries, paint, needles and sharps, prescription medication, light bulbs, and gas tanks.
The Northern Kentucky Solid Waste Management Area hosts the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event each year, typically the first Saturday in November. You can bring most hazardous items to this event for free disposal; certain guidelines apply. You must be a Boone, Kenton, or Campbell County resident to participate.
Local hazardous waste facilities collect these items year-round:
- Cleanlites Recycling: 1-800-778-6645; 7806 Anthony Wayne Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45216
- Environmental Enterprises: 1-800-722-2818; 4650 Spring Grove Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45232
- Midwest Environmental Services: 513-681-9990; 27 Kiesland Court, Hamilton, OH 45015
For additional ways to recycle your hazardous waste items, check out the Resource Guide.