Requirements for Golf Carts Operated on an Approved County Roadway
The Boone County Fiscal Court has enacted an ordinance to allow citizens to request the approval for the operation of golf carts on certain county roads as permitted by state statute (KRS 189.286). To allow operation of Golf Carts on County Roadways, the County and users must adhere to the restrictions and provisions articulated by state law and County Ordinance. These include A) meeting the state law definition of a golf cart; B) possessing the required safety equipment on the golf cart; and C) Meeting the process and operation requirements for being designated an "Approved County Roadway," obtaining a county permit and abiding by all requirements for operation.
A) Definition of a Golf Cart eligible to be used on an "Approved County Roadway"
State law defines ‘Golf Cart" as any self-propelled vehicle that:
1. Is designed for the transportation of players or maintaining equipment on a golf course, while engaged in the playing of golf, supervising the play of golf, or maintaining the condition of the grounds on a golf course;
2. Has a minimum of four (4) wheels;
3. Is designed to operate at a speed of not more than thirty-five (35) miles per hour;
4. Is designed to carry not more than six (6) persons, including the driver;
5. Has a maximum gross vehicle weight of two thousand five hundred (2,500) pounds;
6. Has a maximum rated payload capacity of one thousand two hundred (1,200) pounds;
B) Safety Equipment Required for All Golf Carts Operating on an "Approved County Roadway"
State Law required that every golf cart operated on an "approved county roadway must be equipped with the following safety equipment which will inspected by the Boone County Sheriff's Department before a permit can be issued:
2. Tail lamps;
3. Stop Lamps;
4. Front and rear turn signals;
5. One (1) red reflex reflector on each side as far to rear as practicable, and one (1) red reflex reflector on the rear;
6. An exterior mirror mounted on the driver’s side of the vehicle and either an exterior mirror mounted on the passenger’s side of the vehicle or an interior mirror;
7. A parking brake;
8. For each designated seating position, a seatbelt assembly that conforms to the federal motor vehicle safety standard provided in 49 C.F.R. sec. 571.209; and
9. A horn that meets the requiremetns of KRS 189.080.
C) In order for a golf cart to be operated on an Approved County Roadway, these requirements must be met before and while using a golf cart on an "Approved County Roadway"
1. The roadway on which the golf cart is to be operated must be and "Approved County Roadway";
2. The golf cart to be used on an "Approved County Roadway" must meet the requirements for the definition of a golf cart as listed in section A and have all required safety equipment as outlined in state law and listed in Section B;
3. The golf cart must be inspected by the Boone County Sheriff's Department at the Boone County Administration Building or be special appointment;
4. A permit must be obtained from the County by completing a permit application and submitting it to the Boone County Building Department with a copy of the Sheriff's Inspection Form either in person or via mail;
5. Permit must be displayed on the golf cart;
6. Slow-moving vehicle emblem must be displayed in compliance with KRS 189.820;
7. Be insured in compliance with KRS 304.39-080 by the owner or operator, with proof of insurance inside the golf cart at all times of operation on a public roadway;
8. Be operated only between sunrise and sunset;
9. Be operated by a person with a valid operator's license in his or her possession;
10.The golf cart may not cross any roadway at an intersection where the roadway being crossed has a posted speed limit of more than thirty-five (35) miles per hour and should not cross any state route that has been prohibited by the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet;
11.Be operated only on a designated county roadway approved by the Fiscal Court and listed in the Boone County Code of Ordinances.
Additional Information Related Golf Carts on Public Roads and Sidewalks
1. Any person operating a golf cart on a public roadway shall be subject to all traffic regulations of KRS Chapter 189 and any other applicable provisions of the Boone County Code of Ordinances pertaining to the operation of vehicles upon county streets and roadways;
2. Golf Carts are not permitted to be parked on or across a county roadway, sidewalk or multi-use pathway. An officer is authorized to have a towing service remove any golf cart or other self-propelled means of transportation from a county roadway to a storage facility when not operating with a valid permit or parked improperly;
3. These provisions do not apply to a golf cart that is not used on a public roadway except to cross a roadway while following a golf cart path on a golf course or to a motorized disability access vehicle or a battery operated unit which serves the sole purpose as a child’s toy and not for transportation;
4. Any person violating the provisions of the golf cart ordinance, upon conviction of a first offense, shall be guilty of a violation & be fined not less than one hundred dollars ($100.00) & not more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00). Any person convicted of subsequent violations within two (2) years of a prior conviction under shall be fined not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00) nor more than five hundred dollars ($500.00).