- Baseball/Softball – Most of the Boone County Parks fields are already assigned to local baseball & softball leagues. For information about joining one of these leagues, to go Recreation Links. To schedule a field outside of league play, submit a request in writing to email@example.com
- Basketball – Basketball courts are available on a first–come first serve basis. Boone County parks that have basketball courts are:
- Bocce – The Bocce court at Boone Woods can be used on a first come–first serve basis. Bring your own bocce balls.
- Disc Golf – The Boone County Parks Department has two Disc Golf courses. The one in England Idlewild Park is a professional caliber 18 hole course that will take 2 to 3 hours to complete. The one in Boone Woods is a great course for beginners and those folks that just want a quick game. It takes from 45 minutes to an hour to complete all 18 holes. Both of these are permanent courses that are free and ready to use on a first come &ndash first serve basis unless there is a tournament scheduled. For a map and score sheet, just click on the park name.
- Fishing – Fishing is available in three of the Boone County Parks. They are all stocked annually. As with any public fishing lake, folks ages 16 and older require a valid Kentucky fishing license. (For more information on obtaining a license, contact the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife at 1–800–858–1549). England Idlewild Park has a large lake and two small ponds. Camp Ernst lake is a large lake that allows boats with trolling motors only. Shor Lake Park has one lake.
- Fitness Stations – There are Fitness Stations on the walking trails at Giles Conrad Park and England Idlewild Park. They are on the walking trails and are available during the park hours.
- Geocaching – Anyone who is interested in creating a new cache in the Boone County Parks should provide an e–mail of request to the Parks Director. Cache owners who already have caches in Boone County Parks should send an email in the same manner as a new cache. Boone County Parks will respond to the request and will issue an approval number. The complete rules and regulations for geocaching in Boone County Parks can be viewed at : http://www.boonecountyky.org/parks/Policies.aspx?PolicyID=11. Once the approval number has been received the cache owner may seek approval from geocaching.com
- Horseshoes – The horseshoe courts at Boone Woods are on a first come-first serve basis. Bring your own horseshoes. There is a local horseshoe association that has leagues and tournaments. For more information call them at 859–525–7325 or 859–331–4054.
- Horse Trails – There is currently only one Boone County Park that has trails for use by horses. Middle Creek Park has over 5 miles of unpaved trails through old growth forest and diverse foliage.
- Mountain Bike Trails – Boone County Parks has 185 acres of mountain bike trails that are located in England Idlewild Park, behind Baseball field #6. Just follow the paved walking trail to the Mountain Bike trail entrance. The trails consists of a ½ mile Beginners Loop; a 2 mile Intermediate loop; a 3 mile highly technical expert loop and a 6 mile Advance loop. For a website dedicated to the EI Mountain Bike trails, go to: http://www.eitrails.com/. We also have up–to–date trail condition information on Facebook.com - search for England Idlewild Park.
- Soccer – Most of the Boone County Parks soccer fields are already assigned to local soccer leagues. For information about joining one of these leagues, to go Recreational Links. To schedule a field outside of league play, submit a request in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tennis Courts – To reserve tennis courts at Boone Woods and Central Park, sign up for the court the day before on the sign–up sheet located at the courts. If the court is not reserved, then it is on a first come–first served basis. Boone Woods has lights that will be turned on for evening play weekend nights starting April 30 through October 31.
- Volleyball Courts – The two Boone County Parks that have hard surface volleyball courts are Boone Woods and Walton Community Park. They are both on a first come–first served basis. There are some leagues that play at Boone Woods – so call the parks office 859–334–2117 for a schedule. Oakbrook Park has a sand court that is available on a first come–first serve basis.
- Walking/Hiking – The Boone County Parks system has over 12 miles of walking trails in 7 parks. They range from paved, easy/moderate trails in a mowed setting to difficult, unpaved trails in old forest growth. Most of the Boone County Parks are open year round at 8:30 am and close at dusk. Check out our walking–brochure.