Emergency Management: Duties
Boone County Emergency Management provides many services for Boone County, including the cities of Florence, Union and Walton:
- Work with the whole community to maintain the comprehensive emergency management program.
- Coordinate efforts towards core capabilities in prevention, protection, mitigation, response and recovery mission areas.
- Coordinate the Preparedness Cycle for the comprehensive emergency management program to include: planning, organizing and equipping, training, conducting exercises, evaluation and improvement.
- Development and maintenance of the Boone County Emergency Operations Plan (EOP).
- Planning and response coordination for all hazards.
- Provide 24–hour response coverage for any significant emergency within the County and act on behalf of the County and/or City Chief Elected Official in coordinating multiple agencies and resources as necessary.
- Maintain the Emergency Warning Systems (including the Mass Notification Telephone System and the Outdoor Warning Siren System).
- Maintain the readiness of the primary and alternate Boone County Emergency Operations Center (EOC) personnel, facilities and equipment.
- Provide information and assistance as necessary to the County Administration and City Administrations regarding any significant emergency situation including State of Emergency declarations.
- Hazardous material release reporting and enforcement.
- Develop and organize training exercises annually for public safety agencies to test response plans and procedures within the County Emergency Operations Plan (EOP).
- Retain “StormReady” recognition through the National Weather Service by maintaining severe weather preparedness.
- Represent Boone County on a number of committees and organizations including: Kentucky Emergency Management Association, Northern Kentucky Emergency Planning Committee, Boone County Fire Chief’s Association, Northern Kentucky Technical Rescue Team, Inc., Northern Kentucky Hazmat/WMD Response Unit, Inc., Northern Kentucky Police Chief’s Association, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport Disaster Committee, Cincinnati Area Maritime Security Committee and many others.
- Provide emergency preparedness information to the public including presentations.
- Oversight for Boone County Water Rescue.
- Develop and maintain the Boone County Community Emergency Response Team (CERT).
This list does not include all Emergency Management responsibilities, but should provide some idea of our general ongoing efforts.